Saturday, November 13, 2010

Exploring Southern

As a commuter and with the schedule that I have, I am only on campus two days a week.  That means I take five classes each day I come to Southern.  Although it isn't that great of a schedule, I kind of find it easy in some ways.  For example, instead of going crazy remembering due dates for each class, I know that if it was assigned Tuesday, its due Thursday and if it was assigned Thursday, its due Tuesday.  That definitely has its negative side effects, but for now I'll just focus on the good parts.
Being that I'm only on campus these two days a week and in classes most of the day, I haven’t found a good place to study.  I don’t really like the library for some reason and the student center is usually too crazy around the time I would be there.  So as a result, I have found my sanctuary: the driver seat of my truck (which is soon to be sold along with my other car so you really will see me in a pre-owned BMW soon, I wasn’t kidding.)  The truck is always there in the parking lot, my seat is never taken, and no one is playing the harmonica (some kid was playing his harmonica in the student center last week; really?!) while I'm trying to get some homework done.  I can listen to my own music, put my seat back a little bit, crack open a book and do some homework.
      Now this isn’t my ideal place to study but it definitely has helped me this semester.  Sometimes it is also nice to know that I have somewhere to go to just unwind and get away from everything.  Every once in a while I take ride up to the top of West Rock (two minutes from campus, off of Wintergreen) and look at the view of New Haven/Hamden and do some homework.  The Ford Explorer is like a portable office/library and it couldn’t be more useful.  I should probably go change the oil soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment