Sunday, September 12, 2010

Obstacle Course

We all faces challenges and obstacles in our lives.  Some of us find it easy to face these challenges and overcome the obstacles while many of us get stuck struggling to figure out how to handle our situations.

Something I have struggled with in the first couple weeks of college is dealing with the transition from being in a technical high school where most of the work was concentrated on our trade rather than the academic aspect of school.  I also took a year off between high school and college to work which also adds in the difficulty of my current transition.  When I was high school, things seem to move along quickly.  I always had a handle on my work, was able to stay focused, but also had a negative "get in, get out" attitude.  I did not like my high school nor did I like the idea of being a tradesmen, specifically a plumber for the rest of my life.  Going to a technical school was not my first choice, and I do regret that I had the attitude that I had in middle school which influenced my mothers decision in enrolling me into the local tech school.  She felt that my attitude was a life long sentiment, and  with that attitude I might not succeed in the academic world.  Looking back I cannot argue with her insight, but I just wish she had known its typical of a preteen to be rebellious to the idea of doing homework in eight grade.

I have found that being in college and adjusting to the work load has been very stressful, and dealing with the anxiety of the requirements of this class and the due dates of that syllabus is something that I was not prepared for with the educational background that I have.  It's funny how preparation for one scenario entirely unprepared me for another.
I am going to work hard at renewing my mind and refocusing my energy and hopefully I can make the necessary changes I need to make in order to be a successful college student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment