Saturday, October 16, 2010

Peer Mentor

Having a peer mentor allows the students to connect with an older student and receive advice and information in a private classroom setting. This helps the students to feel comfortable asking questions and following older students' advice.  Sometimes when students interact with the professor or teacher, it’s hard to figure out what is really expected of them.  Having a peer mentors helps to break it down to a student’s perspective so we have a clear understanding of what to do.  Students need help when they are trying to manage multiple responsibilities so a peer mentor is very helpful in "bridging the gap."

A good peer mentor is able to keep an open schedule to meet with students and finds constructive and interesting ways to inform students of upcoming events and opportunities offered on campus. A good peer mentor is also able to multi-task so they can handle all of the students that they work with and meet with them without feeling overwhelmed.

After meeting with my peer mentor, she helped me understand that during the advisement period of our class, I will learn about what classes I need to take and what is required of me.  When I was picking classes during orientation, I wasn't sure on exactly which classes I need to take in order to work towards a degree.  After speaking with our peer mentor, it gave me an idea of where to look for advisement on classes and a "degree evaluation."

I think having a peer mentor is a great addition to a class and it has been very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment