Saturday, October 30, 2010

Making a change to make more pocket change

Recently, I started a new and challenging job with a financial group.  I landed this job while working at my other job oddly enough.  The CEO is a regular customer at the restaurant I work at and from seeing him so frequently we developed sort of a business like relationship.  During the summer, I was looking for full time work outside of the restaurant.  I was putting in well over forty hours of work, and was extremely stressed by my work schedule as well as the environment and type of work I was doing.  I was the boss without getting paid like the boss.  I originally started washing dishes at the restaurant when I was fourteen so with five years of experience my boss depends on me more than he depends on himself (and I really wish I was kidding.)  Being in the back of a fast paced kitchen where ducking sauté pans (again, I truly wish I was kidding) is not an irregular event with the stressed out, "overworked and underpaid" sentiment setting in, I knew it was time to make a change.
            While asking around for work, I remembered Dave owned his own company.  I also knew he was driving around in a brand new BMW M5 convertible; why the hell wouldn’t I ask him for a job?  A couple months later, I landed the job with R.S. Capital Group.  My job is to contact merchants all across the country that R.S. has worked with in the past and bring the news that we are no longer brokering deals and that there is no more middle man; we are the man. As his company has grown, they are now able do in-house loans and processing which means more money for R.S. and hopefully more money for me.  At a starting rate of twelve an hour, plus commission with bonuses, I'm pretty optimistic that my hope will become a reality.
            For my first two weeks of work, I've been told how great of a job I'm doing.  The Senior Account Executive told me I picked up on everything that he learned in months in a matter of a week.  Although that might be a nice compliment, knowing that I opened up six potential accounts and locked two new accounts down, it’s a bit of reassurance that it might be more than a compliment.  Before either one of us know it, you might be seeing me pull up in a new BMW…well okay, mostly likely a pre-owned.

No comments:

Post a Comment